Get a Florida medical marijuana card!
Are you confused about how to get a medical marijuana card in Florida? That makes sense because the process to get a medical marijuana card isn’t clear, patients are trying to find a qualified physician, don’t know where to find medical marijuana dispensaries, and the process is taking too long. We’ve got good news, we know the process well and even have some secrets to getting access as fast as possible.
The Steps to Getting your Florida Medical Marijuana Card
STEP #1 – See a Medical Marijuana Doctor
See a medical marijuana doctor. Schedule an appointment with a certified physician so they can do an exam and confirm that you have a qualifying medical condition for medical marijuana recommendation. Not all board certified doctors are certified to be a Florida medical marijuana doctor and recommend medical marijuana , so you must find one that’s a part of the Florida mmj program. Make sure you have a condition that qualifies for a Florida medical marijuana card.
Fun Fact- In Florida, they don’t call it “prescribing” medical marijuana, they call it “recommending medical marijuana”.
You can typically call or schedule online with most doctors that recommend medical marijuana.
If the Florida medical marijuana doctor approves for the patient to use medical marijuana treatment, they enter the qualified patient’s info into your state’s Medical Marijuana Use Registry.
STEP #2 – Apply for Your Florida Medical Marijuanas Card
After the doctor sees you, qualifies you, and enters you into the registry – you will now need to register with the state of Florida according to Florida Law. There are two options; mail in the application or file online. We strongly suggest filing online! The Florida state fee is $75 (plus $2.50) annually to remain an active medical marijuana patient.
What do i need to register for marijuana with the state?
- Residency Info –
- Florida Drivers’ license or State ID card. If you don’t have a card there are other paper documents per Florida law that you can submit in order to qualify for the Florida medical marijuana card.
- Patients must be qualified Florida residents in order to get a medical marijuana card. You have to be a permanent resident or be a seasonal Florida resident who lives in the state for 30+ consecutive days
- A Photo of the Qualified Patient
- You can usually pull this in from your Florida drivers license online.
- Credit Card
- To pay the fee
STEP #3 – Purchase Medical Marijuana at a Florida Dispensary
After you get approved by the State, you can buy medical marijuana in Florida at medical marijuana treatment centers (that’s what they call dispensaries in Florida). There are more and more dispensaries opening each month. You can visit the dispensaries, call and order, or order medical marijuana products online, but you do need to be approved by the state before you can buy. In order to purchase medical cannabis in Florida, you either have to have a medical marijuana card in Florida or be a registered caregiver for medical cannabis for the cardholder.
4 Tips for Seeing a Medical Marijuana Doctor That Will Make the Process Smooth
We say recommend, because technically in Florida, it’s not a prescription, it’s a recommendation. That doesn’t necessarily affect you, the patient, only meaning that you do have some choices once it comes to visiting the dispensary as opposed to a set prescription.
First, schedule an appointment with a Doctor that is qualified to recommend medical marijuana (or sometimes called medical cannabis). Doctors can become qualified if they take a course led by the State of Florida. If you don’t already know which Doctor you want to see, check out the Florida Department of Health directory which lists over 2500 Doctors in Florida. But, it’s not always easy to get ahold of them. Let us know if you are having trouble, and we can help. The process for Medical Marijuana Cards in Florida is quite simple.
- Scheduling – When scheduling your appointment, ask what you should do to prepare and what you need to bring. Ask the Doctor if they can email you or text you a reminder for your appointment.
- Background Info – Bring your relevant medical records and a Florida ID to your appointment. Doctors want to review these medical records to verify that you have a qualifying medical condition that allows or your medical marijuana use. This is necessary for Medical Marijuana Cards in Florida.
- Options – At the appointment, ask the doctor about your options. Medical marijuana is new for most of us, it can be scary and complicated. Your doctor should be able to describe the different types. Ask the doctor about flower (i.e. smokable) or edibles if you think you’d prefer to consume the cannabis that way. A medical marijuana card in Florida is associated with the recommendation and each type of delivery method you are interested in must be listed on the recommendation your doctor submits to the state. Even if you think you may not be interested in a particular delivery method based on your medical conditions, it is wise to allow or request that all delivery methods be listed in your recommendation when you are applying for Medical Marijuana Cards in Florida.
- Medical Marijuana Use Registry – Make sure that your Doctor enters the correct information into the MMUR / Registry (State of Florida’s website for tracking approvals). The State will not let a dispensary provide you with the marijuana if your name and address from your Florida ID don’t match what’s in the registry exactly.
Is telemedicine/online/virtual doctor appointments allowed in Florida [2024 Update]?
Many states are allowing doctors to recommend Medical Marijuana for qualified patients via telemedicine appointments currently.
Florida residents can see a doctor via telemedicine appointment if it’s a follow up appointment.
So, currently you cannot get a Florida medical marijuana card for the first time through an online doctors appointment or via telemedicine.
3 Secret Hints for Getting Your Medical Marijuana Cards in Florida as Quickly as Possible!
Assuming the doctor approves you for a medical marijuana card and adds you to the registry, you’ll need to fill in an application for the State of Florida medical marijuana ID card.
- Accuracy/Completion – It is vital that all of the information is correct so there aren’t any delays. Check your information. Make sure it’s complete and ensure that you mail in your check quickly.
- -> -> File Online! – Here’s our top tip that shocks most people- CalmEffect has seen patients getting approved the same day [in 2024] We never recommend sending in a check.
- Email Receipt – Check your email inbox and even your junk/spam folder because once you receive the email (before you receive the medical card) with your approval you can purchase medical marijuana (using the Patient ID that’s in the email/on the card).
How Do I Know Which Dispensary to Go to for Medical Marijuana in Florida?
If you’re visiting a retail location check out which Florida Dispensaries are in your area. Sometimes you may be better off traveling a little farther to go to a dispensary that has a selection, has a comfortable atmosphere, and has employees that go above and beyond in customer service. Currently, there are over 300 medical marijuana dispensary locations across the state of Florida. Check out our city by city list of Florida dispensaries, or individual brands like Trulieve, Curaleaf, and Surterra. Once you’ve gotten your card, make sure to sign up for our marijuana deals email to get access to discounts and more!
If you choose delivery, ask the dispensary questions so that you know exactly what you’re getting.
- What kind of product will they deliver?
- How much will it cost?
- When will it arrive?
- What happens if I don’t like the product?
- What choices do I have?
- Types of marijuana
- Delivery mechanisms
- Dosing size
It’s normal to feel overwhelmed by the medical marijuana card process. The good news is that there are opportunities for those that can benefit from medical marijuana, as more doctors and dispensaries open, there will be more accessible product, and as more patients go through the process, others will feel more comfortable.
Find a Florida Medical Marijuana Doctor Near You
Find a Florida dispensary near you!
Florida dispensary deals have been updated.
Schedule a Florida medical marijuana appointment