How Do You Get Your Florida Medical Marijuana Card?
(The 3 Step Process)
Are you confused about how to get a medical marijuana card in Florida? That makes sense, because the process isn’t clear, patients are trying to find doctors, don’t know where to find dispensaries, and the process is taking too long. We’ve got good news, we know the process well and even have some secrets to getting access as fast as possible.
The 3 Steps to Getting your Medical Marijuana Card in FL
Essentially, there are three primary steps:
- Set up an appointment and see a doctor that is a Qualified Doctor that can prescribe medical marijuana.
- Apply for the Florida medical marijuana ID card.
- Visit a dispensary, or as we call it in Florida, a medical marijuana treatment center.
4 Tips for Seeing a Medical Marijuana Doctor That Will Make the Process Smooth
We say recommend, because technically in Florida, it’s not a prescription, it’s a recommendation. That doesn’t necessarily affect you, the patient, only meaning that you do have some choices once it comes to visiting the dispensary as opposed to a set prescription.
First, schedule an appointment with a Doctor that is qualified to recommend medical marijuana (or sometimes called medical cannabis). Doctors can become qualified if they take a course led by the State of Florida. If you don’t already know which Doctor you want to see, check out the directory which lists over 2000 Doctors in Florida.
- Scheduling– When scheduling your appointment, ask what you should do to prepare and what you need to bring. Ask the Doctor if they can email you or text you a reminder for your appointment.
- Background Info– Bring your relevant medical records and a Florida ID to your appointment.
- Options– At the appointment, ask the Doctor about your options. Medical marijuana is new for most of us, it can be scary and complicated. Your doctor should be able to describe the different types.
- Medical marijuana registry– Make sure that your Doctor enters the correct information into the Registry (State of Florida’s website for tracking approvals). The State will not let a dispensary provide you with the marijuana if your name and address from your Florida ID doesn’t match what’s in the registry exactly.
Ready to find out more?
Contact us today to schedule an exam with the right doctor for you. Schedule an Exam
3 Secret Hints for Getting Your Card as Quickly as Possible!
Assuming the Doctor approves you for medical marijuana and adds you to the registry, you’ll need to fill in an application for the State of Florida medical marijuana ID card.
- Accuracy/Completion– It is vital that all of the information is correct so there aren’t any delays. Check your information. Make sure it’s complete and ensure that you mail in your check quickly.
- –> –> File Online!– Here’s our top tip that shocks most people- The State of Florida is reporting that it only takes 10 days on average to get your card if you apply online! Compare that to 30-day average that is reported for mail in applications. CalmEffect Events have seen participants get approved in 6-9 business days in 2019!!
- Email Receipt– Check your email inbox and even your junk/spam folder because once you receive the email (before you receive the card) you can purchase medical marijuana (using the Patient ID that’s in the email/on the card).
How Do I know Which Dispensary to Go to For Medical Marijuana in Florida?
If you’re visiting a retail location check out what dispensaries are in your area. Sometimes you may be better off traveling a little farther to go to a dispensary that has a selection, has a comfortable atmosphere, and has employees that go above and beyond with customer service. Currently there are over 90 medical marijuana dispensary locations across the state of Florida.
If you choose delivery, ask the dispensary questions so that you know exactly what you’re getting
- What kind of product will they deliver?
- How much will it cost?
- When will it arrive?
- What happens if I don’t like the product?
What choices do I have?
- Types of marijuana
- Delivery mechanisms
- Dosing size
A note about edibles and smoking medical marijuana. The dispensaries aren’t yet selling edibles that are more popular across the country (like gummies and other candies). The State of Florida is working on guidance for the dispensaries so that they can produce edibles that follow the State laws. Smoking marijuana, on the other hand, is not legal in Florida, but there are proponents in the State that are pressing to get it legalized.
It’s normal to feel overwhelmed with the process. The good news is that there are opportunities for those that can benefit from medical marijuana, as more doctors and dispensaries open, there will be more access, and as more patients go through the process, others will feel more comfortable. For additional information, please free to contact us.
How Much is a Medical Marijuana Card in Florida?
Although prices may vary, appointments for $99 are now available in many Florida cities. Please contact us to see if your city is listed, and for additional pricing inquiries.
Want to Get the Card Quickly and At An Affordable Price? Check Out Our Events and See How We Follow Our Own Process!!