Marijuana Edibles Are Now Legal in Florida
Marijuana Edibles Are Now Legal in Florida
New rules were quietly enacted on Wednesday, August 26, 2020! Marijuana edibles are now legal in Florida. Here is everything you need to know about the edibles regulations and the timelines for products and marijuana edible availability across the state. These aren't the "pot brownies" of our past, these are sophisticated and super creative products and will surely be a tremendously popular form of consumption in Florida. Let's learn more now that marijuana edibles are now legal in Florida.
FLDOH Rules Marijuana Edibles Are Now Legal in Florida
The Florida Department of Health (FLDOH), which oversees the Office of Medical Marijuana Use (OMMU), quietly published emergency rules for edible medical marijuana late Wednesday night (8/26/20). Variances should be issued to licensed Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers (MMTCs) this week and products will hit shelves soon after (hopefully by the end of the year or even sooner.
MEDICAL MARIJUANA RULES
- Are effective immediately.
- Basic rules in Florida
- the edibles cannot have primary or bright colors in order to minimize attraction to children,
- must not resemble any commercially available candy and
- must be packaged appropriately.
- Items like baked goods, lozenges, and chocolates are fair game.
While the rules took a few years to finalize, much of the waiting had to do with the establishment of a reliable testing infrastructure, which has been built up as the industry has grown.
Medical Marijuana Edibles - DISTRIBUTION
After more than three years of delays, a finalized version of the Medical Cannabis Edibles rules was posted to the Florida Administrative Code, with an effective administrative date of March 16, 2020. Since then, Florida’s leading MMTCs said they were still waiting on the Department of Health to issue rules regarding packaging and other essential requirements. But today, August 26, 2020 - we wait no more as marijuana edibles are NOW legal in Florida!
The Florida Department of Health has officially issued production standards, meaning dispensary sales of marijuana edibles are now legal in Florida!
Florida’s top marijuana companies have been working hard and preparing for this moment for years. Many have enormous production facilities servicing all of Florida. Some of the larger companies lead the nation in production and serve nearly 400,000 patients in Florida alone.
MEDICAL MARIJUANA RULES FOR DISTRIBUTION
- Under the new statute, all companies that will produce or manufacture edibles will be required to obtain an annual food permit, which can cost up to $650.
- In preparation for the allowance of edibles, some have already partnered with companies throughout the United States to bring them into the Florida market.
- Florida’s largest medical marijuana company, Trulieve, announced in 2018 that it had partnered with Bhang, a high-end Colorado company that boasts its cannabis chocolate, granola bars, fruit leather, honey, olive oil, and even French-inspired Pâté de Fruit candies.
- Liberty Health Sciences similarly announced in 2018 that it was partnering with Incredibles, another cannabis confectionery.
- Other companies like Curaleaf, MedMen, and MUV are all established in states that already have guidelines in place for edibles, so it is likely that they will bring existing partners into Florida dispensaries.
Trulieve CEO Kim Rivers tweeted Wednesday night: “Like I said... year of the edibles! Let’s go!!!”
To check out the official production standards for edibles issued by the Florida Department of Health, see: Final Standards for Production of Edibles.
Why are Marijuana Edibles so Popular?
As both medical and recreational marijuana become legal in a growing number of states, so too does the popularity of edible forms of cannabis. Data from Colorado, which was among the first states to legalize marijuana, indicates that marijuana edibles make up a whopping 45% of the states total marijuana sales. That figure doesn't even take into consideration the homemade marijuana edibles that people have been whipping up for years so the fact that marijuana edibles are now legal in Florida could (and likely will) have a tremendous impact on the Florida marijuana market.
A nationally representative study of adult cannabis users reported that nearly 30% of all users had consumed cannabis in edible or beverage forms.
In Canada, where both smoked and edible forms of cannabis are legal on a national basis, a 2019 study indicated that over 25% of all users preferred edibles. It has also been shown that individuals using cannabis for medical purposes are more receptive to edible products, and that edibles are more popular with older adults.
For patients who are unable to receive inhaled cannabis medications due to conditions such as asthma and COPD, or who simply dislike the taste of burnt marijuana, edible forms of the product provide a viable alternative.
BENEFITS NOW THAT MARIJUANA EDIBLES ARE NOW LEGAL IN FLORIDA
- The ability to deliver measured dosages
- A longer duration of effects as compared to smoking or vaping
- No need for additional equipment such as vape pens or pipes
- A 2016 manuscript on the subject outlined several additional potential benefits of edible cannabis:
- edibles are a discreet and more convenient way to consume cannabis
- edibles offer a “high” that is calmer and more relaxing than smoking cannabis and
- edibles avoid the harmful toxins and health risks that come with smoking cannabis.
CAUTIONS NOW THAT MARIJUANA EDIBLES ARE NOW LEGAL IN FLORIDA
Although edibles are commonly viewed as a safer and more desirable alternative to smoked or vaped cannabis, physicians and the public should be aware of several risks related to the use of cannabis edibles.
- Identification and regulation of dosages
- Safety of production and packaging
- Risks of over-consumption and accidental ingestion
- Risks from the consumption of illicit or homemade edibles
Marijuana Edibles Are Now Legal In Florida
Are you excited to get some marijuana edibles? We reached out to some Florida dispensaries and here is what they are saying about availability!
- Fluent Florida: As of 8/27/20, Fluent is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Curaleaf Florida: As of 8/27/20, Curaleaf says they will have artic berry sublingual tabs (gummies in the shape of cubes). These are actually available now.
- One Plant Florida: As of 8/27/20, One Plant is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Rise Florida: As of 8/27/20, Rise is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Grow Healthy Florida: As of 8/27/20, Grow Healthy is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- VidaCann Florida: As of 8/27/20, VidaCann is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Columbia Care Florida: As of 8/27/20, Columbia Care is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Trulieve Florida: As of 8/27/20, Trulieve has partnered with edible brands Binske, Bhang, District Edibles, and Love's Oven to include cookies, brownies, and other products. No confirmed date yet as to when you will see the items in stores.
- Liberty Health Sciences Florida: As of 8/27/20, Liberty Health Sciences is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- Surterra Florida: As of 8/27/20, Surterra is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.
- MÜV Florida: As of 8/27/20, MÜV is not sure when they will be selling marijuana edibles or what kind they will have in each store.