Looking to Get Your Medical Marijuana Card in Florida?
Does it take a long time to get a medical marijuana card in Florida?
No! I had heard all of the stories about how long it was taking Florida patients to get their medical cannabis card and I was concerned that it may take months. However, that wasn't the case! It only took 9 business days. Nowadays, it can take longer. Covid processes and staffing, holidays, and vacations can make the process take a little longer.
What are the steps to getting a Medical Marijuana Card in Florida?
- See a Medical Marijuana Doctor that is Qualified (by the State) to recommend
- Apply to the State (and pay the $75 licensing fee
- Check your email inbox for the approval email from the State. (You can use this email as proof at the dispensaries!)
- Get the medical marijuana ID in the mail.
Here's the medical marijuana card timeline that we experienced.
- Day 1- I saw a Qualified Doctor who recommended medical marijuana for me. Based on our conversation she thought that medical marijuana could help with my conditions- and reviewed the different methods of taking it- drops, creams, vapes/oils, etc.
- Day 13- I received an email from the State of Florida with this subject line: Medical Marijuana Use ID Card Application has been approved
- Day 22- I received the hard Florida Medical Marijuana ID Card in the mail. So, I received the email only 9 business days after I was entered into the Medical Marijuana Registry. The hard card came later, but all you need is the email (that has the Patient ID) in order to go to a Medical Marijuana Dispensary (or have it delivered to you)!
What made the application process quick?
- I brought my applicable medical records to my Doctor appointment
- I was able to walk my Doctor through my medical history
- I was able to demonstrate that I was knowledgable about the opportunities that medical marijuana might provide
- The staff entered my information correctly. I know that the data entered at the Doctor's office has to match the data you enter on your application and has to match the data from your ID/proof of residency. That is a major reason why some people's medical marijuana card's get held up.
- I applied on the State Registry the same day of my Doctor's appointment and then paid online. The website accepts credit cards! There are warnings on the site that it can take days for the payment to actually process.
- I uploaded proof of residency as requested on the site.
How to get a Medical Marijuana Card in Florida fast!
- Make an appointment online with a doctor that can see you quickly.
- Get all of your documentation ready for the appointment. Any pertinent records, a credit card and your drivers license.
- Apply with the state immediately after the appointment.
- Make sure the OMMU (the Florida state) account shows that there is nothing missing.
- Check your email so you don't miss getting approved.
Is there a way to expedite getting a marijuana card in Florida?
Unfortunately, the best way to get a marijuana card quickly is to follow our tips. Typically in can take a couple of weeks to get approved. You can certainly try calling the OMMU in Tallahassee, but don't expect that they can get your card faster than normal.
If you enter the information correctly and follow the instructions, the process should be easy and straightforward! Wondering if you qualify? Check out this 15 second Florida Medical Marijuana Qualification Quiz that will let you know if you might be eligible. More resources: