How long does it take to get a marijuana card in Florida? Can you get a same day medical card?
You can get your card the same day as your doctor's appointment! Technically, you'll get the email approval that day and the hard card gets mailed to you. But with the email, you can shop at a Florida marijuana dispensary.
Medical Marijuana Cards are now being approved by the OMMUR within hours of your application (or re-application). If you are using your drivers license info thru the system and have initiated your credit card payment, you can be approved shortly afterward. Although you won't have the card, you and the dispensaries will see the updated info in the OMMUR system.
What are the steps to getting a Medical Marijuana Card in Florida?
- See a Medical Marijuana Doctor that is Qualified (by the State) to recommend
- Register with the State (and pay the annual $75 licensing fee)
- Check your email inbox for the approval email from the State. (You can use this email as proof at the dispensaries!) Often, if done correctly the email arrives the same day!
- Get the medical marijuana ID in the mail.
Here's the medical marijuana card timeline that should now be experienced.
- Day 1- I saw a Qualified Doctor who recommended medical marijuana for me. Based on our conversation she thought that medical marijuana could help with my conditions- and reviewed the different methods of taking it- drops, creams, vapes/oils, etc.
- Day 1- I received an email from the State of Florida with this subject line: Medical Marijuana Use ID Card Application has been approved
- Day 22- So, you can shop that first day, but the physical card came later, but all you need is the email (that has the Patient ID) in order to go to a Medical Marijuana Dispensary (or have it delivered to you)!
What made the application process quick?
- I brought my applicable medical records to my Doctor appointment
- I was able to walk my Doctor through my medical history
- I was able to demonstrate that I was knowledgable about the opportunities that medical marijuana might provide
- The staff entered my information correctly. I know that the data entered at the Doctor's office has to match the data you enter on your application and has to match the data from your ID/proof of residency. That is a major reason why some people's medical marijuana card's get held up.
- I applied on the State Registry the same day of my Doctor's appointment and then paid online. The website accepts credit cards! There are warnings on the site that it can take days for the payment to actually process.
- I uploaded proof of residency as requested on the site.
How to get a Medical Marijuana Card in Florida fast!
- Make an appointment online with a doctor that can see you quickly.
- Get all of your documentation ready for the appointment. Any pertinent records, a credit card and your drivers license.
- Apply with the state immediately after the appointment.
- Make sure the OMMU (the Florida state) account shows that there is nothing missing.
- Check your email so you don't miss getting approved.
Is there a way to expedite getting a marijuana card in Florida?
Unfortunately, the best way to get a marijuana card quickly is to follow our tips. Typically in can take a couple of weeks to get approved. You can certainly try calling the OMMU in Tallahassee, but don't expect that they can get your card faster than normal.
How do you renew your Florida medical marijuana card?
The process is similar to when you originally registered with the state. You log on to the OMMU website
- Confirm your contact info is correct
- Confirm your picture is correct
- Prove that you are a resident.
The Florida OMMU website has been updated so now you can pull in your driver license info into your application (in addition to your picture!)
Is telemedicine legal in Florida for cannabis?
Florida has now approved the use of telemedicine for renewal appoints for a Florida medical marijuana card.
- You have to see the certified medical marijuana doctor in person for your first appointment.
- You can see that same doctor for follow up appointments via telemedicine or online appointments
How long does it take to renew your Florida Medical Marijuana Card
You can get approved the same day. It's the same process as when you originally applied. Address and photo verification, make the $77.50 payment, and submit.
How can I find a Florida Medical Marijuana Doctor?
If you enter the information correctly and follow the instructions, the process should be easy and straightforward!