5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana
We’ve been covering medical marijuana education since 2017 and we continue to hear misinformation and rumors.
Why do we keep hearing them? Well, there’s not enough info out there that residents have access to. Here are 5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana that you need to know.
What Conditions Qualify for Medical Marijuana in Florida?
5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana - Myth #1:
Medical Marijuana Doesn’t Cover Many Ailments
Here's the reality: In 2016, Florida expanded the list of ailments to include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to those above
- A terminal condition diagnosed by a physician other than the qualified physician issuing the physician certification
- Chronic nonmalignant pain caused by a qualifying medical condition or that originates from a qualifying medical condition and persists beyond the usual course of that qualifying medical condition
- In addition, there is language about like conditions that are chronic. What does that mean? We see doctors that are recommending medical marijuana to patients that can prove they have conditions like anxiety, chronic back pain, arthritis, etc if they have valid medical records from another doctor that has diagnosed the conditions.
- We also see doctors that are approving medical marijuana for other painful conditions, chronic pain, and anxiety. Please contact us with any questions.
Where Are the Medical Marijuana Doctors in Florida?
5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana - Myth #2:
There Aren't Many Medical Marijuana Doctors in Florida
Here's the reality: As of early 2019 there were over 2,000 doctors that are certified to prescribe medical marijuana in Florida. Some have other core practices or work at a medical center and will recommend medical marijuana to their existing patients, others have been certified to treat with medical marijuana but aren’t actively recommending it, and others are open to seeing new patients who have a qualifying conditions. How do you find those doctors? The Florida Department of Health Website has a list and you can always request info from calmeffect.com.
Where Are the Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in Florida?
5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana - Myth #3:
There Are No Medical Marijuana Dispensaries In Florida
Here's the reality. It has been slower than we all wanted, but most major areas now have a least one medical marijuana dispensary. Some of the brands are approaching 30 locations and others are just starting off. Most also deliver, and the larger ones deliver statewide (sometimes for free).
How Much Does it Cost to Get Medical Marijuana in Florida?
5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana - Myth #4:
It Costs a Fortune to Get Medical Marijuana
It is true that there are some doctors that are charging $300 or more for an appointment, but there are plenty of options where you should be able to pay at or lower than $200 for an initial appointment that will get you medicine for 7 months. The State charges $75 annually. Dispensary products can start around $20 and go up from there. CLICK HERE to sign up for a CalmEffect Doctors Appointment for only $99!
How Long Does it Take to Get a Medical Marijuana Card?
5 Myths About Florida Medical Marijuana - Myth #5:
It Takes Months to Get a Florida Medical Marijuana Card!
Tt used to take a long time to get a Florida medical marijuana card, now it can be much quicker. How long does it take to get a medical marijuana card in Florida? We’ll CalmEffect has seen patients get their approvals in 5 business days after the doctor's appointment. Now, you have to follow the process carefully and make no data errors, but it has been done and we expect that the process will continue to be more efficient. Remember, you don’t need the hard ID card in order to buy, you just have to be approved by the state. They send you an email when you’ve been approved, you’ll get the card in a few weeks.
There you have it, 5 myths about Florida Medical Marijuana that we’ve proven wrong! Hopefully, that helps you with your goal to get a medical marijuana card in Florida. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below. Also, check out our other educational articles/videos for more info on medical marijuana in Florida.